Home > Healthy Hair > Can Head Lice and Parasites Cause Hair Loss?

Can Head Lice and Parasites Cause Hair Loss?

By: Jennie Kermode - Updated: 20 Feb 2024 | comments*Discuss
Hair Hair Parasites Hair Loss Parasites

One of the leading causes of hair loss and damage to the hair is infestation by parasites. It's an unpleasant subject and one most people don't like to talk about, but the good news is that parasite problems are usually quite treatable and your hair should grow back normally afterwards.

Picking up hair parasites is easy to do. The most common route of transmission is by head to head contact, which is why school children are more vulnerable to getting head lice. However, adults can carry them, too, and they can survive on clothes, towels and soft furnishings. Hair parasites actually prefer to live in clean hair and on clean skin, so contracting them doesn't mean you have poor hygiene.

For most people, infestation with hair parasites is just a nuisance, causing itching. Because immune systems respond differently, however, it can cause some people to lose a lot of their hair. Excessive scratching can also lead to this, and can be difficult to control, as you may do it in your sleep. Fortunately, there are solutions.

Types of Hair Parasites

The most common type of parasites that infest the hair are head lice. They live in the hair, lay eggs against the roots, and breed very fast, leading to rapid infestation. They feed on blood drawn out of the scalp. In order to keep incisions open while they drink, they exude a chemical that irritates the skin, causing itching and sometimes allergic reactions that lead to hair loss.

Lice can also cause hair loss because their eggs are sticky and can only be removed from the hair by combing. This can cause hairs to get ripped out at the roots, and it can be a problem even with dead eggs long after the lice themselves are gone. When you comb infested hair, put a little olive oil on your comb before each stroke. You may not get all the eggs out at once, but you'll do less damage.

Many hair problems are caused by mites that burrow into follicles and feed on the oils the body produces to lubricate hair. Although they don't attack the body or hair directly, they can block the follicles, stopping vital nutrients reaching the root and even leading to bacterial infection. Some people also suffer from allergies to them. Any of these problems can lead to hair loss.

Hair loss problems can also be caused by fleas, which you can pick up from your pets and which sometimes settle on the scalp. Some people are allergic to the fleas, causing dermatitis and damage to hair follicles. The best way to tackle this is to get your pets treated straight away and use flea powder to get rid of any remaining fleas in your house. Pet fleas are unlikely to breed on you.

Getting Rid of Hair Parasites

Whatever type of hair parasite you're dealing with, ease of transmission means that it's important to treat your whole household at once, along with anybody else you have close physical contact with. Some schools advise that children with head lice should be kept at home until the problem has been solved, so if you have affected children, phone their head teacher or school nurse for advice.

When treating your household, you should wash all towels and bedding and any clothes you have worn in the past few days. Items that can't be washed above 40ºC, but that may be infested, such as hairbrushes, should be placed inside plastic bags and left in your freezer for 24 hours.

Traditional treatments for lice and mites involve suffocating them with oils. You can buy special oil preparations for this or you can use standard hair oils or olive oil, but you must rub the oil in thoroughly, massage it along the full length of the hair, and leave it in for 24 hours. If treating lice, you must repeat the treatment after 10 days, when remaining eggs will have hatched – only the adult parasites are vulnerable.

Though it's the gentlest of treatment and the best option for people suffering from allergies, oil treatment doesn't always work. If you have ongoing problems, other treatments are available and are usually be effective. Ask your pharmacist for advice on the best treatment for you.

It seems unfair, but even people who are mostly bald already can still get hair parasites. With patience and care, however, you can eradicate them and make a full recovery.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I got parasites from a person that stayed in my house. I had to go to the ER 2 times to get this 1 pill . I had a worm type in my hair, it actually shrunk my hair up to be shorter in a way, anyway I also seen them worms everywhere, it was awful. The first pill didn’t work so 5 days later I went back to the hospital and got another pill. Finally it was over but I had to wash my hair with dawn for 3 hrs to get them out. They was in my ears, nose and under all my skin and in my private area. I was going crazy. After all was done I’m left with a quarter of my once was beautiful hair n it’s still falling out. Please if anyone can help me to get my hair to start growing back I’d so appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to read my problem
Sue - 20-Feb-24 @ 11:11 PM
I keep seeing little brown bugs crawling up my shirt and I can’t stand it! My parents keep telling me it’s fine and I don’t have lice but my scalp has been itchier than usual, I have eczema but that doesn’t explain anything. I also have a lot of bites or skin irritation on my neck closest to my scalp. Any tips?
Rylee - 24-Oct-18 @ 11:33 PM
I am 15 and I have had head lice before when I was 9. I found out today that I have them again and I was just wondering if it's even normal for me to have lice because I haven't been around any other people or anything and I don't do any kind of physical contact... so... please explain?
Vanny - 22-Jun-18 @ 6:44 AM
Judy - Your Question:
I have had them and dyeing my hair and my childrens thier natural color. Its worked twice for me wen they brought them buggers home from school n I have hair down to my butt. And my babies are mixed and it is hell to get rid of but the hair die workd everytime.

Our Response:
We wouldn't recommend the use of hair dye to remove lice, especially on children.
HairLossExpert - 6-Jan-17 @ 12:51 PM
I have had them and dyeing my hair and my childrens thier natural color.. Its worked twice for me wen they brought them buggers home from school n I have hair down to my butt.. And my babies are mixed and it is hell to get rid of but the hair die workd everytime..
Judy - 5-Jan-17 @ 6:34 PM
actually when i went native place that time i got head licen dont understand that how i get ride of this because this time i m facing excess hair falling just because o Of this i cant combing my hair n specialy with net comb.. I dont undrstand what to do? I need help to get rid head lice without combing.
rukku - 29-Sep-16 @ 8:11 PM
I found of you get the live treatment kit at your local drugstore and follow the instructions on the box then after rub the hair with a lot of coconut oil then wrap head in cling wrap them put a towel over it it works wonders
Helping hand - 13-Oct-15 @ 2:21 AM
@worried mum. You should take your daughter to her GP. She may be having reaction to any treatment you are using. As the article says if you comb through the hair with the fine toothed comb regularly, it can rip the hair out, so use olive oil or hair conditioner so it has a more gentle effect on the hair/scalp.
HairLossExpert - 21-Apr-15 @ 2:07 PM
My daughter has had headlice time after time having picked it up from school and as soon as we get rid of it it comes back again. I know that it is affecting her and she is losing a vast amount if hair. How can I stop her hair from falling out. I suffer from Alopecia Areata and I'm worried that she will lose an embarrassing amount of her.
Worried mum - 18-Apr-15 @ 10:32 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: